Saturday, September 5, 2020

Sierra Gold Rush a horse of many colors





 A blogging friend Karen of Bakersfield Dressage put on about getting coat color genetic testing for her horse. Because her horses coat changes color from a dark bay to almost Buckskin every year as he sheds out his winter coat. I wanted to share with Karen  about my horse Sierra, and her coat changes from being age two to about age five. I put the original posting on Face Book.  I had Sierra from age two until she was 26. I trained her to be ridden, but she developed arthritic knees and had to be retired early.  I also researched her pedigree extensively. I paid to get her sire and dam registered as Appaloosa's and wrote letters to people to find out information. This was before the internet. So Sierra is a mix of the main horse breeds here in the USA. Thoroughbred, Quarter Horse, Arabian and Appaloosa. She was a very nervous and high strung horse and because of that I decided not to breed her. She was also inbred being the result of the mistake breeding between her sire and dam.

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely name, and such unusual colouring - I take it that the coat colours settled in the end to the mostly grey? I can see the Arab in her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yes she ended up a light strawberry roan. She had the Crabbet Arab influence via Raffles.

      Delete