Friday, September 18, 2020

King Karrot RIP





 We lost King Karrot on Thursday September 17th at about 2:30 pm. I was home and woke suddenly from my usual afternoon nap. my husband came to the door. He said he had just got a phone call from a fellow boarder at the ranch. Karrot was down. I drove over as calmly as I could, it takes about 15 minutes along a freeway and city streets, fortunately traffic was light. When I pulled up alongside Karrots pen I saw Hector standing by him. Hector is our cleaner and feeder. Karrot looked in dire straights. I won't go into further detail. I got a hose and sprayed cool water over Karrot as it was a very hot day and he was lying in the sun. I rinsed out his nose and mouth. He got up. He seemed OK for a moment but then went into a violent fit. I leaped over the railings so as not to get hurt. Karrot then fell. I knew that it was the end. He passed quietly within a few minutes. We will miss him, we had him for 13 years and he lived for 33 years. We have two other horses Coco and Pesky. Today we decided to look for another horse so that my husband and I can enjoy riding together again. Coco is our only rideable horse.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry for Karrot's traumatic end; I hope it helped him to know you and Hector were there. So hard....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Michelle I am so thankful that he passed quickly and that I could be there. I was able to put a soft blanket under his head. Before I have had to make the decision to have my horses put down and I did not have to do that, although the vet was on her way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I am so sorry, but at least you were there for him and he didn't linger. I hope looking for another riding horse will help ease the grief of losing him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks We are hopefully going to look at a horse this Tuesday. I will keep you posted.

      Delete