Saturday, January 30, 2016

I have not posted about my garden in a while. Mainly because it is dormant at the moment. The grass has stopped growing and the trees have just finished shedding their leaves. I have been added horse manure to the soil and there are now a lot of earth worms. We have adobe clay here and when it dries out it is as hard as concrete. Since we moved here about three years ago I have added gypsum and grass clippings, leaves and compost and horse manure, as well as turning the soil with a garden fork to mix everything in as it rotted. The fish in the pond have also gone dormant and will not wake for several months. I have planted some fava beans and have a lot of volunteer cilantro, and a few sweet peas. Later it gets too hot for peas, potatoes and lettuce. I have until about May  to plant them. I have a tomato plant still producing but the tomatoes are small. I have Swiss Chard in semi shade that thrives all year.


The sun going down behind the Liquid Ambar tree in my garden. The yellow
flowering plant is a Pot Marigold or Calendula. The pond is middle right.

No comments:

Post a Comment