Thursday, January 6, 2022

Me wearing my helmet and safety vest with Coco

 The day before yesterday I had a fall off Coco , my first one in over twenty years. It happened when we were out on the trail.  Doug was riding Tandy. We have had a lot of rain. Coco will avoid going through water. But she will go through it usually with no problem . We came to a big puddle, Coco decided to go up to the side of it on a bank. Her legs then sank deeply. She panicked and jumped around. I did not expect her to suddenly leap sideways. I fell over her shoulder on to a very soft landing in the mud. Doug finally stopped when I yelled, and came back to where I was, and I then caught Coco. Her adrenaline was up, so I walked her along the trail until I felt she had calmed down enough, and then got back on using a bank at the side of the trail. I rode her again today in a different area, but it still had some soft sinky places. She was a little animated but perfectly controllable. I decided to try out the safety vest that we have had since we got Pesky our off the track Thoroughbred and I have never worn.

2 comments:

  1. The soft mud must have reduced the impact of your fall significantly. I managed to fall off my bicycle last summer onto rock-hard ground; lets just say I didn't bounce like I used to when I was younger. The safety vest sounds like a sensible precaution.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The soft mud did help a lot. Thankfully we are able to ride on relatively soft sandy "trails" where we keep our horses.I have had a lot of much more serious falls throughout my life, and amazingly have never been seriously injured. I suppose that is what makes riding a bike or a horse have a certain thrill about it, especially now that I am older.

    ReplyDelete