Saturday, August 8, 2020

So far

 So far I am pleased to say Karrot has not fallen since July 28th. That is 10 days ago. That also means he has gone that long with out deep sleep. I am hoping so much that he is using the pad that I made for him to lean against and go into a deep sleep. I have seen him in the videos from the wild life camera leaning on it in conjunction with putting his nose down to the ground to balance himself. I am thinking that the longer he goes with out falling the more his leg will gain strength again.Then he will be able to get up with out too much struggle. I only have footage of him falling and not how he gets up again. On Tuesday Joan is coming again for the last acupuncture, laser and electro therapy. So far it has cost about $600. I really do not see any great improvement. I do give karrot bute when he seems to be in pain. Joan wants to try a new drug called Gabapentin a pain killer specifically for nerve damage. Here is a picture of King Karrot Morgan Horse age 33 from June.


4 comments:

  1. Poor old guy; he looks pretty tough. I suppose he could fall down from getting too tired if he goes long enough without deep sleep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Michelle that is exactly what happens.

      Delete
  2. Sorry that the acupuncture didn't bring lasting improvement. When they get old, all you can do is monitor them day by day and do all you can to help their comfort. Horses DO sleep standing up, so I hope he is managing this. I have noticed on a charity I supported in Egypt, that they had piles of sand in their outdoor areas and some of the sickest and least mobile horses could lie down propped against these and get up again. Difficult to organize when it's not your own place though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my first experience of having a horse this age (33) Although my husbands ex had a Morgan live to the age of 41 and had to put him down when he was unable to get up. Karrot does sleep standing up but he needs "deep sleep" and that is when he falls. Karrot has a sleeping shelf that I made. I will take a picture of it.

      Delete