Wednesday, September 11, 2024

A Heat Wave and Wildfires starting up in CA

 We have just come through about five days of what is called extreme heat here in southern California. We have no air conditioning in our house. Originally it had what is called a "swamp cooler" but we never used it as it was not that efficient and started to malfunction in later years. So to with stand temperatures that were on average 107 F outside I had to do some things in the house such as make sure all the blinds were down in the front where the sun rose. All the ceiling fans were put into action as well as the two auxiliary fans that I have,  they were moved around as necessary. The worst was at night when temps staying in the 70's. Humidity was not that high, but high enough to make me feel as if I needed to be cooler. In the house the temperature mid and late afternoon was about 88 F I am comfortable up to about 85F. The final comfort step was to then get some hand towels and soak them in cold water and put them on me.

Out at the horses because humidity is relatively low we were good. No sweaty horses except after being ridden,but some tepid hosing afterwards helped me feel that the horses were more comfortable. As for me,  having to wear breeches because I ride English with short boots, a shirt worn over a spaghetti strap top was soaked in cold water. I also sprayed water over my upper legs, and not to forget my hair and head. I am sure the other people out at " the barn" were somewhat amused, but I don't care ! 

The heat and the beginning of the fall winds has started up the usual wild fires. Fortunately a long way south of us at the moment. We can see a smoke cloud over Mount Baldy which over looks Los Angeles.  My daughter also had some wild fires

My living room with the ceiling fan going full blast because of the heat.

The pond in my garden

Me the gardener

Part of my garden

in her area near the Reno Susanville area. She and her husband had to evacuate all their animals including horses a year or so ago.

3 comments:

  1. Glad you are not affected by the fires at least. I spent my grade school years in SoCal, San Bernardino and Riverside Counties, so the recent news caught my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those fires are frightening. I lived in San Diego for a couple of years as a child. Your garden is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are hoping for the best this fire season... Thank you about my garden !

      Delete